Moscow Mills is situated on the western bank of the Cuivre River, four miles southeast of the Lincoln County seat of Troy. Settlers began arriving in Lincoln County in the late 1790s attracted by Spanish land grants. When hostilities with the Sac and Fox tribes escalated with the beginning of the War of 1812 settlers under the direction of Major Christopher Clark erected a fort around the nearby spring. In 1817, one of the first notable settlers, Shapley Ross, moved his large household from Kentucky to Lincoln County. After acquiring a grist and saw mill on the Cuivre River near Clark’s Fort, Shapley Ross began construction of a stone house on the hill overlooking the mill and the river. This two-story native limestone home that is a rare example of fine stonework masonry and Georgian-styled architecture has been restored and is the home of the Lincoln County Genealogical Society.
Listings displaying the MARIS logo are courtesy of the participants of the Mid America Regional Information Systems Internet Data Exchange. Information from Third Parties, Deemed Reliable but Not Verified.